Tuesday, January 6, 2009

RELATIONSHIPS...

So when men and women all get together in a room,  the topic is going to come up, we are going to always argue and debate. Relationships, this can be a serious topic and people have their own opinions on relationships.  Personally I love this topic, because I find it interesting to listen to what men have to say as they defend themselves. It is also interesting to me to listen to how women argue or get on the defense about relationships.

Not too long ago I was hit with a curve ball, or a young man said something to me I was not prepared to hear. We are going to call him the ex- factor. He and I dated about four years ago, he is a smart man, and has a degree. Sometime we still hold on to the past, when we should have moved on a long time ago. Well anyway he and I were texting, and we were talking about if we would possibly ever get back together.  So he says to me in a text message, "You have traveled the world and done things I could never imagine, I know you are long gone, and I know you are a totally different person than who you were when we first met; personally I do not believe I can match up to dating someone like you who has done as much as you."  WHAT????????? I could not believe he sent this in a text.  Now he is a couple of years older than me, but at first I thought he was making up a lame excuse.  


After this text message I thought to myself OK he is whack! But as I began to think this was the thought that came to mind: Are men intimidated by strong successful African American women? Are men scared to date women who are educated, are they scared to date women who have more degrees than they do? What does this mean for possible relationships? Will a guy date me if I have a doctorate, and he has a bachelors? Is there any potential there in that relationship?  

Do we all set standards too high as educated people, when it comes to relationships?  Are men really scared of women who are very educated, or does this not affect them?

2 comments:

  1. the same problem is here in ghana. Men are inherently afraid of successful. they belive they threaten their authority and ego. Every woman know how sensitive men are when it comes to their ego. And don't be fooled this cuts across the social ladder. Speaking for myself, there is one thing i will never do, fall in love with a woman who lacks ambition and drive.t

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, being able to observe a few of my closest friends deal with this exact situation, i've come to the conclusion that it isnt necessarily the strong successful woman that a man is intimidated by....its the fear that he may not be able to keep up and as a result his lack of keeping pace with his female counterpart causes him to feel that she will have an easier time moving on to a more adequate partner...so rather then take a chance with a woman who appears to have an endless amount of things going for her he shys away and aims for less thus stroking his own ego

    ReplyDelete